First Deputy Director of the Institute of Economics of Russian Academy of Sciences
Professor of Moscow School of Economics, MV Lomonosov Moscow State University
Doctor of Sciences (in Economics)
Corresponding Member of Russian Academy of Sciences
M. Golovnin was born at January 5-th, 1978.
He graduated Economic Faculty of Moscow State University (Bachelor School at 1998 and
Master School at 2000) with honors. Master of Science degree is on Economic and Social Policy.
M. Golovnin received Candidate of science degree in 2003 at the Institute for International
Economic and Political Studies, Russian Academy of Sciences. Thesis: “Monetary sphere in
transition economies (comparative experience of Russia and Central and Eastern European
countries)”. Scientific adviser – academician of RAS A.D. Nekipelov.
He received Doctor of Science degree at the Institute of Economics, Russian Academy of
Sciences. Thesis: “Monetary Policy of Russia and Central and Eastern European Countries in
M. Golovnin was elected Corresponding Member of the Russian Academy of Sciences in
M. Golovnin works at the Institute of Economics, Russian Academy of Sciences (before 2005 –
Institute for International Economic and Political Studies, RAS) since 1996. He took the
positions of junior researcher, researcher, senior researcher, Head of the Center, Deputy Director,
Acting Director (September 2015 – January 2016).
He is also the Professor of M.V. Lomonosov Moscow State University Moscow School of
Economics and was Deputy Head of the MSE MSU General Economics Theory Chair (2011-
2015). Teaching courses – "International Economics" (Bachelor and Post-Graduate levels),
"Economic Policy" (Monetary policy section).
Member of the Editorial Board of several journals: Journal of the New Economic Association/
Zhournal Novoi Ekonomicheskoi Associacii (Russia, listed in Scopus, Web of Science, EconLit
and RePEc), Vestnik Instituta Ekonomiki Rossiiskoi Akademii Nauk (Russia), Vestnik
Finansovogo Universiteta (Russia), Mir Peremen (Russia).
Head of the seminar for young researchers on international economics and politics of the
Institute of Economics, Russian Academy of Sciences and Moscow School of Economics, MV
Lomonosov Moscow State University.
In 2004-2005 and 2008 he was the winner of the Russian Science Support Fund’s competition
within the program “The best economists of Russian Academy of Sciences”.
2006-2007 – scholarship of the President of the Russian Federation for young scientists and their
research supervisors’ support.
Scope of research interests: international macroeconomics, financial globalization,
international monetary and financial system, external shocks for Russian economy, monetary
policy, monetary and financial integration on post-Soviet space.
The author of more than 130 publications, including 7 individual and collective books.
1) Monetary Developments during Transformation Period: Russia and Central and Eastern
European Countries (monograph). Moscow, LIBROCOM, 2009. (in Russian).
2) Interaction of CIS countries’ financial systems (editor and author in collective book). Saint-
Petersburg, 2010, Aletheia. (in Russian).
3) Monetary Policy Strategy and Tactics During Contemporary Global Economic Crisis.
Voprosy Ekonomiki. 2010. No. 1. (in co-authorship with A.D. Nekipelov). (in Russian).
4) Effect of External Shocks on CIS Economies during Crisis of 2007–2009: Global and
Regional Aspects. Eurasian Integration Yearbook 2010. Almaty: Eurasian Development Bank,
2010 (in co-authorship with D. Ushkalova and A. Yakusheva). (in English).
5) Russia's Economic Development Review and 2013 Outlook. Blue book of emerging economy.
Social sciences academic press (China). 2013. P.37-49 (in Chinese).
6) Reasons of Russia’s Slowing – Economy, Innovation and Transformation. Annual Report on
BRICS Development (2014). Social sciences academic press (China). 2014. P. 85-97. (in
7) Golovnin M., Libman A., Ushkalova D., Yakusheva A. Is the USSR dead? Experience from
the financial and economic crisis of 2008–2009. Communist and Post-Communist Studies, 2013,
Volume 46, Issue 1 (March). P. 109-122.
8) Creation of a Financial Mega-Regulator, and Modern Approaches to the Monetary Policy
Zhournal Novoi Ekonomicheskoi Associacii. 2013. No. 3. P. 149-154 (in Russian).
9) Macroeconomic Results of 20 Years Transformation in CIS Countries: the Role of
Investments. Zhournal Novoi Ekonomicheskoi Associacii. 2014. No. 1. P. 200-206 (with D.
Ushkalova) (in Russian).
10) Monetary Policy in Russia During the Crisis. Zhournal Novoi Ekonomicheskoi Associacii.
2016. No. 1. P. 168-173 (in Russian).
11) Golovnin M., Zakharov A., Ushkalova D. Economic Integration: Lessons for the Post-Soviet
Space. World Economy and International Relations. 2016. Vol. 60. No. 4. P. 61-69 (in Russian).